Saturday, June 7, 2014

National Trails Day

Another day of service...keeping ATX gorgeous!  A great park with an even greater history!  

"In 1881 the original capital building burned to the ground; only a pile of ashes remained. Officials decided the building must be reconstructed, of limestone, in a grand fashion. A spot south of town, Oatmanville (to be renamed Oak Hill) was negotiated as a quarry site, to which a railroad spur was built. The labor was supplied by the State of Texas. Convict Hill got its name because 8 convicts died while quarrying limestone between 1882 and 1885."





No comments:

Post a Comment